Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Reunion

I have just completed something of a four-day race. I drove by myself for the equivalent of four work days (with some overtime) to spend four hours with a group of people who were present for the some of the most humiliating times of my life. It filled two needs. The need to be alone for a while and the need to chart how much they, and perforce I, were the same and how much we had changed with time and life. I have been several times before, the thirtieth that almost didn't happen, and the fortieth when I discovered my cancer.

The need to be alone was met too. On the way up I stopped and photographed at places I had never taken the time to see in my mad dashes home.

And on the way back I listened again to my favorite talking book. I have read this book about four times and listened to it at least six times now over the years; and every time, I am sorry to have it end. This time the book ended exactly as I pulled up to my driveway at 4:02 in the morning. The book is Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged. It gets better every time I read it or listen to it. It made the trip fly. It was written so long ago and it is truly amazing how prescient she was.

Now I find myself wondering as I look at the likes of Obama, Geithner, Barney Franks, and the rest ... Which one is Wesley Mouch, which one Chick Morrison, Bertram Scudder, Cuffey Meigs, and Tinky Holloway?

No comments: