Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Hey, Jimmy (Carter)

No, Jimmy, race has nothing to do with it. I didn't like it when you ran inflation up to the skies in the seventies either. When it comes to stealing away my past, present , and future wealth and the portion of my life that it represents, I don't care who you are. I don't care what color you are. I don't even care what party you represent. Stop spending my money on your whims. Stop spending my children's future on your grand ideas. Stop using the fruits of my labor to buy your re-election.

By the way, Jimmy - I don't expect you would remember me, but we met once, in your living room in Plains, back before you were President. I was part of a TV interview crew. Even though at that time I was not yet a libertarian and was excited to be in the presence of the man who would probably be the Democrat Party candidate, I came away with the impression at that time that you were in a different reality than I was. This was one of my seminal moments. It changed how I voted that year and maybe forever after to some extent. I listen to you now, and I find you are still in a different world that those of us who get up every morning, go to work and try to make enough to pay out bills, pay our taxes and live as well as those who don't. Racism has nothing to do with my concern for the health and wealth of my family. But you wouldn't know that, you live behind a Secret Service checkpoint in a literal different world.

No comments: